Arch Disorders Treatment
Flat Foot Pain
Flat foot is most commonly a genetic condition passed on from generation to generation. The ankle bone (talus) rests atop the heel bone (calcaneus) and moves back and forth when putting weight on and taking weight off your foot with every step. Flat feet happen when the ankle bone falls off the shelf and unlocks the middle arch of the foot causing the arch to collapse. This condition is called talo-tarsal dislocation. This condition will ultimately lead to a weaking of the posterior tibial tendon causing the foot to further collapse because the posterior tibial tendon was meant to help hold the arch upwards and also plantar flex and invert the foot. Other causes can include trauma induced flat foot deformity from damage caused to the bones or muscles altering their function.
At Mid-Ohio Foot & Ankle Specialists we recommend the hyprocure procedure on patients as young as 8 and as old as 80 which can be performed through a one centimeter incision on an outpatient basis and allows you to bear full weight the same day. After 2 weeks you are placed back into your shoe and the other foot can then have the same surgery performed if needed. You will be able to return to work in 4-6 weeks if you have a stand-up job.
It has been my experience that 98% of patients do well with the stabilization procedure and the other 2% actually require fusions because their condition is so severe.
When considering your options remember this, you can always remove the implant and then fuse the joints if needed, but you can’t remove the fusion once it is performed.
For more information please visit: https://www.hyprocure.com
TENDONITIS Posterior Tibial
Posterior tibial tendonitis can be diagnosed by a hands on evaluation of the foot testing the muscle strength, usually the patient is unable to point their toes forward and inward without pain or raise up on their toes on the affected foot. Also there is pain to palpation along the tendon from the insertion point going up the inside of the ankle and leg. Patients often relate pain on the inside of the arch when trying to stand or walk. X-rays are taken to obtain views of the bone structure to check for fractures, overgrowth of the navicular bone, accessory bones in the tendon or most commonly a flat foot deformity from the displacement of the ankle bone on the heel bone. Diagnostic ultrasound will also be used to check for thickening, change in the color or tearing of the tendon. Finally an MRI may be performed to confirm the suspicions of the doctor that there may be a tear and to what degree and location of the damaged tissue.
Tendonitis Posterior Tibial Treatment
After a period of 4 -6 months and / or having failed conservative therapy options mentioned above, Mid-Ohio Foot & Ankle Specialists recommends high intensity shock wave therapy (ESWT). ESWT can be beneficial is reducing the calcifications in the tendon caused from injury and induce the inflammatory process leading to the reparative process. A decrease in pain is felt within hours to days.